Photo editing has evolved dramatically in the last few years. Here you’ll find why it’s important to take your final results to another level.
The process of creating a photography masterpiece doesn’t end with pressing your camera’s shutter button. In fact, capturing a photograph is just the beginning of a whole new world. It’s none other than EDITING that allows you to tweak your photos in order to get the desired results. Mostly, the retouching and editing process is not as easy and simple as you would want to imagine. That’s why we have compiled this guide that will allow you to understand why photography editing is important. So, without any further ado, let’s dive into it.
1. What is Editing or Post Processing in Photography?
Photo Credits: Gigapresets Mobile Presets
Before going into the reasons why photo editing is important, it’s vital to understand what does editing actually means. Photo editing which is also sometimes regarded as post-processing is a process in which you modify your photos. The modification process is carried out by using software such as Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, ACDSee, GIMP, Dark table etcetera. These specialized software solutions come with a range of different functionalities to modify your photos most efficiently.
2. Importance of Photography Editing/Post Processing!
As mentioned, the process of creating a photograph doesn’t end after capturing a photo from your camera. In fact, it must not end there because capturing a photo is only the first half. Undoubtedly, you must put your best efforts in order to capture the best possible photo right in your camera. Some of the vital factors to keep in mind while capturing are lighting, composition, exposure, perspective, etcetera. That’s because no photo editing tool can fix a photo captured truly badly.
Aiming and striving to get great photos in your camera will allow you to make it even better in the post-processing. Photo editing is not necessary but it’s certainly recommended to achieve better results. Here are some of the reasons why photo editing or post-processing is important.
2.1 Allows you to Achieve Your Vision
Many times, we want our photos to appear in a certain way. At such times the traditional post-processing practices don’t really do justice to the specific moment that you captured. In order to bring out the best possible result, some photos actually deserve this special treatment. In such scenarios, you also don’t want to compromise a single thing to settle for something less.
Maybe you have a special idea that you want to create in a landscape or portrait photo you captured. Maybe you want to edit your street photograph with a black and white treatment. All of these possibilities can be unveiled with the help of photo editing tools and you can achieve much more in post-processing.
2.2 Enhances Your Photos
From simple tweaks such as sharpening, brightness, saturation, a contrast to advanced editing techniques you can enhance your photo according to your unique requirements. You can almost always improve your photos by using these simple yet powerful improvements. Editing photos allows you to achieve great results even if you don’t have any specific goal to achieve.
In order to make your photo pop or improve it the way you want, an extensive and complicated editing workflow is not necessary. But we advise you to learn and understand the post-processing software tool fully to make the best out of your photos. Learning photo editing tools can literally open countless opportunities to adjust your photos in a way that you never imagined.
For example, Adobe Photoshop offers a powerful curve tool that allows you to adjust the tones of your photo. Using this single tool, you can darken, brighten, change contrasts and adjust colors in various amazing ways.
2.3 Allows You to Overcome Your Camera’s Post Processing Limitations
- In a broader sense, photography editing in one form or the other has always been around. Since the early days, it has been considered as one of the most important parts of photography. People even had to develop the film themselves or had to take it to the professional lab after shooting. Even in that time, people used to apply different techniques to tweak the film in order to achieve the required effects.
- Today almost all digital cameras are smart enough to process each of your captured images automatically. Depending upon the camera setting cameras can produce usable JPG photos as well. However, the results that you get are limited based on the post-processing and capturing capabilities of your camera. That’s where the photo editing tools come in and allows you to overcome these limitations efficiently. Moreover, it’s also better to take complete charge of the editing process yourself instead of leaving it to your camera.
- For instance, even the most advanced and professional cameras come with a limited dynamic range. Dynamic range is basically the difference between the darkest and brightest tones of a photo. You can explore more details in shadows and highlights and expand on the current dynamic range by capturing a photo in RAW format and going through post-processing. Additionally, you can also apply adjustments only on a particular part of your image by using a specialized feature known as “Masking” in Photoshop.
2.4 Allows you to Fix the Imperfections!
It doesn’t matter how careful and experienced you are, you will still have some imperfections in your captured photos. Some minor imperfections always make their way into your photos and you can use photo editing tools to fix them. Some of the most common issues are vignetting, barrel distortion, chromatic aberration, high ISO noise, dust sports, etcetera. These problems are very common and they can easily go unnoticed if they are not very prominent. You can also leave these insignificant issues but only if it is another ordinary photo. On the other hand, if you want to share your photograph with other people or it’s just close to your heart, you’ll need to fix even these little imperfections.
A photo might also have some other issues as well such as the tilted horizon, unwanted objects, etcetera. A photo editing tool will allow you to fix these and all the other problems in your image to create an exceptional final result.
2.5 Increases Creativity
Photo Credits: Gigapresets Actions Panel
During the capturing process, you have to make many decisions and creative choices to get the desired frame. From timing and perspective to lighting and composition, the picture-taking process includes everything. Moreover, you also have to choose the camera settings such as shutter speed and aperture wisely to make sure that your photo doesn’t lose any important detail. All of these skills and practices reflect your specific photographing style. You can use post-processing to make sure that your photo appears the way you want. You can also use its different tools to tell a complete story in your photo.
Bear in mind that you have to draw a clear line between capturing the right photo and making it perfect in post-processing. You must not leave everything onto post-processing because that can never generate great results and you also don’t have to completely avoid post-processing because you won’t be able to tweak your photos to make them perfect.
There is a very thin line between both of these practices and only you can find it precisely.
3. How Post Processing Can Help You to Become a Great Photographer
We hope that now you understand the different reasons mentioned above why photography editing is important. It’s time to see how it can turn you into a skilled and great photographer. Not only does post-processing allow you to make your photos look great but it also helps you to become great at capturing photos.
3.1 It Accelerates Your Learning
Observing your recently captured photos in a photo editing tool provides you with the very first feedback. Fixing your own mistakes in photo editing tools allows you to learn to capture the same photos without mistakes. Here are some of the main factors of how post-processing accelerates your learning.
- Observing your photos on a bigger screen closely reveals many problems. Otherwise, you won’t be able to notice any issue if you just upload the photos directly by merely resizing them.
- The editing tool also allows you to compare the camera setting and the results. You can use this information as instant feedback to learn more about camera settings.
- While post-processing you can really feel the potential in your photos and how you can utilize it.
- Learning to see is a skill that is hard to define and teach but photo editing is a great way to learn it in the most efficient way.
3.2 Helps You to Identify Strengths and Weaknesses
Post-processing allows you to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your photography skills. It also allows you to develop your own photography style that with time becomes your trademark. This way you can keep all the important things in mind while capturing photos without previously committed mistakes. Your techniques get better with time as your skills get improved.
- Post-processing allows you to develop a better understanding of the RAW format’s capabilities and other camera settings
- You can learn how lighting affects your photos and what can be the results of an over or underexposed photo. Moreover, you also learn the techniques to improve such poorly captured images.
- Photography editing also allows you to understand how much you can possibly lose or gain at different noise settings. You can also learn better techniques and strategies to shoot in different conditions.
- Post-processing also allows you to clearly understand what you can achieve while shooting and how it can be improved in editing.
3.3 Expands the Possibilities
Creating photos from the capturing perspective is a little tunnel-visioned. Post-processing allows you to break all the chains of preserving the idea of reality and think beyond. This way, you open and expand countless new possibilities of how you can use post-processing to create masterpieces. It also provides you with the feeling that only you are in charge and the reality of your photos is only what you imagine. Eventually, you become more confident and your exceptional work starts reflecting that.
- Post-processing allows you to think beyond and explore the hidden potential that you don’t see in your photos otherwise
- Once you start spending more time on post-processing you understand that the most popular photos that you see online are the results of something entirely different out of the photographer’s camera.
- You will also understand that the photos you have already shared could have been so much better. It is only a good sign as it means that you’re improving.
- You will realize that only you are in complete control and your photos will appear just the way you want.
- The knowledge and tools that editing software solutions provide build your confidence in order to take your photos to another level.
3.4 One of a kind Opportunity
If you think that post-processing is just an extra step that is nothing more than an overhead then you’re missing the whole point. It’s an extra yet exceptional opportunity to learn more than you can otherwise. Along with better photography skills and photos, the photo editing experience is also a fun activity. You can export your photos with more impact and character after applying several functions and techniques. Undoubtedly the most important part is always capturing great photos. it certainly doesn’t mean that you should underestimate the power of photo editing.
4. Final Word
There you have it. We hope that this article will help you to deeply understand why post-processing is an important part of photography. Keep in mind that you must put your best efforts out there in the field while capturing photos. In fact, we recommend you strive to achieve perfection. But at the same time, we also advise you not to avoid and underestimate the power of photo editing and try your best to incorporate the important points mentioned in this article into your work. Learn any software that you like the most and get on with the photo editing today.
Feel free to let us know about your experiences with photography editing software.